Pages

07/11/2014

CARDIFF HALF MARATHON 5/10/14


A few weeks ago I packed my trainers and running vest and hopped on the train to Cardiff where I would be taking part in the 2014 half marathon.

If you would have told me a year ago that I would run 13.1 miles, all in one go, I would have laughed and quickly corrected your mistake at believing that I could run that far. In a moment of heightened confidence or boredom, I am not quite sure, I signed up to run the half marathon on behalf of the mental health charity MIND. I committed to this challenge amidst revising for my second year end of year exams. I think at that point anything sounded better than sitting at my desk all day attempting to memorise the histories of the Tudors, Stuarts and Victorians – even running a hell of a long way.




Once Easter was over and I was back at university (still revising) I got into the spirit of running. I had a fitness programme set up that would gear me towards half marathon fitness and I soon found myself looking forward to getting up early to head out for a run around the local gardens. Within a blink of an eye I went from struggling to run 2 miles to running 6 almost five days a week. Even the rain couldn’t stop me.

The thought of heading back into the gym and to the weights room was enough to make me tense up with anxiety. After five months of being inside the four walls of the gym six days a week I fell out of love with the place. Even the thought of  walking the relatively short distance down to the university gym felt like a struggle. I much preferred my morning runs where it was only me, my music and some fresh air (and the occasional dog). No walls, no crappy radio music and no people – the perfect way to start the day in a relaxed manner.

With University finishing for the summer I found myself back in the wilds of West Wales where every corner presented a hill of some sort – not the easiest terrain for a running novice.  Three miles would feel like ten in comparison to the relatively flat routes I was used to back in Surrey. However, in my head despite feeling like giving up on more than one occasion, I knew that this would only benefit my training and come race day I would be fitter than I would if I stuck to the flat.

A nine mile run would consist of at least three miles of constant steep uphill with little respite. The odd five miler would knock you out for the rest of the week and the occasional downpour would leave you shivering under a tree thinking ‘what the hell am I doing’.

With my lower back having been operated on only two years ago I knew that running would not be the best in terms of recovery. However, I possess this very annoying and occasionally destructive desire to push myself to my limits – to see how far I can go. This has often led to both mental and physical break downs with anxiety engulfing my body and energy being sapped right out of my core due to exhaustion. I am also not good at recognizing pain and dealing with it right there and then. I tend to just push on and deal with the consequences later which I am now realising is not the best thing to do. These are all things that I am working on.

Over the summer my training increased in intensity and it took a turn for the worst. I was grossly overtraining without refuelling properly and I deprived my body the time it needed to recover. To cut a long story short it was not good and I soon found myself on strong antibiotics dealing with a virus that I know was not help with my unhealthy routine. As a result I took a break from running despite the increasingly nearing race date.

I had a week of no training and a week of yoga and surfing before once more heading back to uni and back to the road. With only managing a relatively low amount of mileage during the last three weeks of training I felt a bit apprehensive taking to the start line near Cardiff’s city hall. Would my ankles hurt, would I have enough energy and stamina? After all, the longest run I had completed was 9.6 miles.

Once I crossed the start line these fears seemed to disappear. Admittedly the first three miles were the hardest of them all but once I passed the first hydration point I was loving life. I was not running to secure a good time or anything, I was running simply to have fun and finish. Being surrounded by tens of thousands of other runners made the miles sail by and before I knew it I was at mile ten with only three to go. With what felt like a sprint finish but what was probably more of a normal run, I crossed the line, picked up my medal, t-shirt and goody bag and hobbled my way over to Wagamama’s for lunch with the parents before heading off to watch Jake Bugg at the Motorpoint later that evening with Nicola.


My body didn’t feel that tired straight afterwards and after walking a bit my feet began to ease. I was on a high and as I had a busy evening that night and an even busier day following it took until late Tuesday evening for the effects of the race to finally hit my body. I was shattered but I felt accomplished. I had my medal. I had run 13.1 miles – that’s a long way!

Despite wanting to run another half it might not be the best idea as during the later stages of my training I began to experience debilitating pain in my lower back that prevented me from moving let alone running or walking for at least 30 seconds. Not a great sign and I don’t want to have to go through more operations and months of pain. Maybe in a few years I’ll take to the road again but for now I’ll stick with cycling and walking for my weekly cardio sessions!


No comments:

Post a Comment