Pages

10/01/2015

It's the little things in life


If you're a seasoned reader of Lisi Loo or if you know me at all then you'll know that I love Bruce Springsteen. Whenever a Springsteen song comes on the radio I literally jump for joy, It doesn't mater where  I am. It happened once in the library, I had some weird looks but I didn't care because Bruce was serenading my ears with one of his hundreds of utterly amazing songs. 

Lisa, why this sudden urge to declare your love for the Boss on your blog once more? Well, the answer is that yesterday while having my lunch break and a desperately needed hour away from my desk and dissertation reading I scrolled through my Sky+ planner to find the recording of Springsteen's 2013 MusiCares concert. Two and a half hours of musicians honouring Bruce by singing their own renditions of the Boss' hits. 

Alabama Shakes shook the house with their rendition of Adam Raised A Caine, one of my favourites from the Darkness on the Edge of Town album. Ben Harper, Natalie Maines and Charlie Musselwhite produced one of the most beautiful versions of Atlantic City that I have ever heard. Patti Smith left everyone awestruck as she sung her hit Because the Night and Mumford and Sons put their own folky twist to the haunting I'm On Fire from Born in the USA.

With each performance I was reminded at the genius of Bruce. His ability to write songs that connect with everyone while also marrying the words with cracking' tunes. Each song can be as beautiful or rock 'n' roll as you want or need it to be. Bruce gives you hope when things are pretty crappy but he's also there to help you celebrate when things are frickin' awesome. Basically, Bruce is the best friend that everyone should have, that everyone needs in their lives. 

I'm sure everyone has their own Bruce. That one person who speaks to them when they need a pick-me-up but also that person who you can rely on to be there when you just want to dance, dance with happiness and joy. 

There is no denying that there are one or two of you (or most of you) reading this thinking 'Gosh, this girl is a bit over dramatic. He's just a singer, get over it.' Which is probably true but it ain't going to happen. I don't just love Bruce because of his songs I love him because of the memories that come flooding into my head when I hear that first guitar stroke  to Thunder Road or the first chord from the piano to Backstreets. I think about home, I think about queuing outside Wembley in the poring rain waiting to see the Boss the day after I finished my first year at university. I think about being 14 years old, the first time I saw Springsteen live, I think of my life then and how much it has changed by today. I think of sunny summer days sitting and waiting in line outside Cardiff's Millennium Stadium chatting and reading and getting excited. 

I go to a lot of concerts. That's what I spend most of my (very little) money on. Some spend it on clothes or going out, I like spending it on listening to my favourite musicians (and coffee).  Going to concerts is not just special because I get to hear the likes of U2, Stereophonics, Jools Holland or Manic Street Preacher play for 2 hours (or in the case of Springsteen 3 hours +). It's special because it's one of the rare times that my mind settles down for a bit. I don't worry about work, or money, or what to do after graduating. I think of nothing but what is happening in front of me. I like looking at the expression of the musicians face when thousands of fans sing their lyrics back at them. I like to look at the face of the guitarist when he's in the middle of a solo. I like to look at all the people dancing and forgetting about life for a few hours. I like how much happiness can be achieved for so many people at the same time. I like the buzz that everyone feels when racing to get the last train home. 

I guess I just really like music a lot. Not just the singing and the melody but the emotions it can induce and how memories can attach themselves to a series of chords and whenever you hear them, wherever in the world you are, you will always be reminded of that one moment in time. Whenever I hear a blues chord beginning to chime out I feel my whole body and mood lift. Play me some Muddy Water, B.B.King, Robert Johnson or Chuck Berry and I'll be the happiest person on earth. It's funny how the little things in life are usually the things that effect us the most so embrace everything however big or small because as long as you're happy about what you're doing with your life then nothing else really matters. If watching YouTube videos make you happy then that's ok. If reading books makes you happy then for god's sake read. Or if you're at your happiest just being, then just be. 

This year is going to be an exciting one for me in terms of concerts. From the Black Keys in March to Foo Fighters in June, ACDC in July, U2 in October and everything in between. I just love it and I love Bruce Springsteen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment