Pages

13/02/2012

Royal Holloway dude.

Last Wednesday i travelled to Surrey to visit a prospective university - University of London Royal Holloway. It was b-e-a-utiful! I absolutely loved the place. From the moment we arrived on a freeeeezing morning where snow dropped from the sky lecturers and students were so keen to help and advise and answer any of my questions. This, for me, is a huge thing as I am quite shy and nervous when put in situations like an open day where there are sooooo many students and lecturers talking to you and asking, sometimes, hard and unnerving questions. However this, thankfully, was not the case in Holloway. I was there to visit the History department as this is what i have applied to study at university. I was quite shocked actually because I was not aware of the fact that we would be having meetings with lecturers in small groups of around 3. Although I feel incredibly nervous before hand (and I mean incredibly nervous) when I reached the door of the lecturer's office and I stood there with two other girls I felt strangely calm and collected and actually wanted to speak to my fellow students. As a result I really enjoyed the meeting with the lecturer and found what he had to say really interesting.
I have to confess that I've been worrying for the last couple of months that I am not ready for uni life and the work that comes with it. I've felt that all the other prospective students immerse themselves in history and like nothing more that to chat about history, history, history. However I am not like this at all. Yes i obviously enjoy the subject but I enjoy my other hobbies such as sport and friends much more. This is how I felt after visiting Queen Mary uni in London. However this is not how I felt in RH. The people were so nice and genuine and made is obvious that there is much more to life than History as a subject. There is a huge emphasis on sport at the uni and this is fantastic for me. They possess a really successful women's rugby, hockey and net-ball team and also have a huge variety of other sports which are incredibly interesting. 
After speaking to one of the students studying history at the Uni at the moment i learnt that you can go on a year abroad as a part of your course. This could be to America, Australia or a number of other countries across the globe. This for me is a BIG PLUS as I love traveling and discovering new places. The student said that almost everyone is accepted to do this year abroad as long as their applications are good. 
So here are some pics of the stunning university. 





No comments:

Post a Comment