Pages

11/09/2013

KAISER CHIEFS ABERYSTWYTH 2013

Myself and Nicola have been to see the Kaiser Chiefs four times now. There is just something about them live that not many other bands can achieve. More often than not when we tell people that we're going to watch the Kaisers their reactions is almost always the same - "Kaiser Chiefs? Oh, OK" but believe me they are superb when you go and watch them in the flesh. Our Chiefs journey began back in 2007 when we made the 200 mile round trip down to Cardiff to watch them on their Yours Truly, Angry Mob tour and we have never missed a tour since.

 My most memorable Kaiser Chiefs moment and come to think about one of my most memorable moments ever was when we were front row in the CIA (now Motorpoint) in Cardiff back in 2008, myself and Nicola had a huge poster that read 'We Love Peanut' (the band's keyboardist) and throughout the set we could see various band members looking and laughing but then it happened - Ricky Wilson (front man) ran towards me and hugged me, said something in my ear which I couldn't hear and carried on with the rest of the show. Magical guys! After the show finished we asked one of the crew if we could get the poster signed by the band and after having to run backstage I got my poster signed with the signature of each band member on it  - one of the best nights ever!

Last night we saw the band in a smaller venue - Aberystwyth Arts Centre - and it was amazing! Before we headed to the front barriers where we would watch the band play from about 4 feet away, Nicola went to buy some dinner only for us to find Peanut buying dinner as well and after some awkward eye contact and a smile we sat down and prepared ourselves for round four of the Kaisers. When we were stood right in the front we could not actually believe how close we were. Both of us have seen acts in the venue before - Paolo Nutini, Jools Holland etc but never had we been so close to any band before and it was Awesome!
Heavyball were supporting and wow, they were awesome. Support acts can be a bit hit and miss but Heavyball did not disappoint. With a rocky, surfer vibe their music was right up my street and if you haven't checked them out before I urge you to do so and I will definitely be buying their EP Hands Up asap.                                        (go on, have a little listen) 

The men from Leeds opened the show with Na Na Na Na Naa which instantly got the crowd going and the rest of the set got better and better with hits like Modern Way, Ruby, Angry Mob, Everyday I Love You Less and Less, Everything Is Average Now Days, I Predict A Riot . . . the list goes on. The set also included some songs from their 2011 album The Future is Medieval and even some brand new songs. The new songs that had not been released yet sounded really great - it sounded like some of their best stuff for a while. With Ricky Wilson sitting in the middle of the crowd, Oh My God finished their fantastic set and once more the Kaiser Chiefs managed to put on one hell of a show. See you next time guys.
Oh, and can I just say how awesome it is to have bands like the Kaiser Chiefs and Heavyball performing in Aberystwyth because just because we live in the middle of nowhere in West Wales does not mean that we don't like music! Even though Nicola now lives mostly in Cardiff and myself in Surrey it's still really cool to see bands that we love performing close to home.

2 comments:

  1. I was at this gig, it was amazing, loved Heavyball especially when the trumpet and trombone came on towards the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love gigs in the Arts Centre - really intimate. I totally agree on the trumpet and trombone comment!

      Delete