Pages

01/09/2013

V FESTIVAL // TOP 5 PERFORMANCES

At number one we have the Stereophonics. Their performance was epic and when they finished their set with Dakota the crowd went mental. I have seen the Welsh rockers live twice before but they just seem to get better and better each time, thus I am very excited to see them live in the O2 in London later this year. I was very surprised to find out that they have only headlined V once before despite playing the festival since 1997. They were so awesome and it was great to have a rock band play the festival as V, which started out as a rock festival all those years ago, has almost completely turned in to a pop fest. Nothing beats a good old guitar solo and a thumping drum.


Coming in at numero 2. are the mighty Kings of Leon. One of the main reasons I went to V festival this year was to watch these American giants and they did not disappoint. Caleb's lead vocals were incredible and the band did not seem to put a foot, or chord, out of place. I was not surprised to see that the crowd was far from overflowing to watch one of today's best rock bands because the V fest crowd is very young (15,16 years old) so many of them went to watch Calvin Harries on the 4 music stage - which is slightly disappointing because the KoL deserve as big if not a bigger crowd than BeyoncĂ© who's crowd was huge the previous night. They opened with their new single Supersoaker which definitely got the crowd pumped up and of course they finished with the crowd pleaser that is Sex on Fire but the set was filled from top to bottom with classics. A big highlight in my life :)


Seasick Steve has to be in my top 5 because his music is right up my street so that is why I'm putting him in at number 3. The folky, bluesy rock 'n' roll that he plays is one of my favourite types of music. The fact that he performed his whole set with a member of rock 'n' roll royalty (John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin) just adds to the American's fantastic performance. He made my day. I sat on a slope, looking down to the stage as the sun shone - it was heavenly. If you like rock 'n' roll then I urge you to go watch the master live or just watch some of his videos on youtube. I mean, he's a farmer turned rock star who plays guitars made out of tractors - what is not to like!


The Script sit in the number four position as a result of their very energetic set. I saw the Script in Cardiff a few years back and they were very good but when you stand (crushed) in the middle of tens of thousands of people singing The Man Who Can't Be Moved as a sort of incredibly large festival choir there is something very special about it. Danny, the band's front man worked the crowd so well and managed to hold them in the palm of his hand. As the lead singer introduced Labrinth (who I had seen previously that day) on to the stage to duet on Hall of Fame the crowd who were already hyped reached fever pitch. The Irish band have gone on from strength to strength in the last few years and they look as if they are loving each second of it and so am I.


Last, but by no means least, in my V festival 2013 top 5 are The Fratellis. They were very low down on the line up (they opened the main stage on Saturday) but that made no difference because they were great. With chart toppers such as Chelsea Dagger and Henrietta they were sure to get the fresh festival crowd going and that is exactly what they did. They were my surprise of the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment