Pages

20/05/2012

SATURDAY CINEMA

Yesterday I decided I wanted to go to the cinema either to watch the hunger games or to watch Elfie Hopkins. However most people I asked were busy, except for Nicola. The film started at 5:45pm so in the mean time I went up to Lampeter by 12pm grabbed myself an iced soya caramel late and went to watch some hockey. It was a tournament and my friend Carwen was playing and after an hour or so I picked Romeo up (carwen's little Jack Russel puppy) and took him home to have a play date with Hendrix (more info and pictures in next post)

Nicola came to pick me up at 4:30pm and we made our way to Aberystwyth Arts Centre to watch Elfie Hopkins. Aberystwyth Arts Centre has an independent cinema which is quite cool as it screens a variation of films and is also a small screen so it's quite 'cwtchi'. The reason I wanted to go and watch Elfie Hopkins was because it was filmed really close to where i live, near New Quay. The director, Ryan Andrews, also originates from around this way also. I was looking forward to watch this film as it had a great cast line up with actors including Jamie Winston (Elfie) Aneurin Bernard (Dylan), Ray Winston (Bryn), Rupert Evans (Charlie) and many more. Also i was looking forward to watching my first horror genre film in the cinema. If I'm totally honest I left the cinema quite confused. The film was apparently set in a small Welsh village even though only around 3 people actually spoke in a Welsh accent. The lack of continuity and attention to detail here took away from the credibility of the film just a little bit. The plot was, all in all, quite good and just seeing Rupert Evans on the screen was enough for me!

The film showed real pzazz by the end with Elfie destroying the Gammon Family once she has found out that they're actual cannibals. If the film had picked up a bit earlier then without a doubt it would have been a very very good film. Andrews(Dir.) showed his potential as an exceptional director in these last scenes and I am looking forward to go and watch his future films. The other funny thing for myself and Nicola was seeing our English teacher as an extra in the Gammon's house warming scene!

Even though this might not be the best film out this year, or even this summer, I enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed not only the film itself, but the fact that the director and the film came from Ceredigion. This excites me as I am able to see that yes, people from small villages in the middle of nowhere can actually achieve something like this, can actually go out and make a film, and can make a name for themselves as film-makers. This I really like.

After the film Nicola and I headed into town and grabbed some chips and walked on the promenade. Lovely!





This film gets 3 Lisa Loves.

1 comment:

  1. I glad you enjoyed my odd little film and i hope you follow the bigger and better things to come! big up the welsh girls you rock x

    ReplyDelete