Pages

30/05/2015

LIFE AND CAREER GOALS


After three years it is all over.

September 2012 - my family and I travelled the 250 or so miles to Royal Holloway, University of London and now it’s over. On that Saturday almost three years ago I had no idea what was in store. Never did I think that I would gain so much confidence, experience what I have and met people I now call my best friends.

With the last full stop of my dissertation and the last sentence of my exam it all ended. But it has not really ended, has it.

Everything you learn through attending university, the academic knowledge, how to make friends, how to live on your own, how to pay bills, how to wash clothes etc, are all things that you keep with you for the rest of your life. I am extremely grateful for this. I would hate to think where I would be now if I had not attended university. The experience has made me into an actual person.

But alas, my student card will soon expire and no longer can I live off my student loan.

It’s time to enter the real world Lisa.

Hello real world. You’re a tad scary but also a tad exciting.

I have already acquired a job, so that’s a start; a job in a field that I really wanted to get into and I feel very happy and grateful for this.

Whether you’ve got a job or still looking for one, I think it’s important to set goals. Life goals. Career goals. 

The wonderfully inspiring and equally mental film-maker, Casey Neistat, spoke wonderfully about the importance of setting goals on his YouTube channel. You want to set goals that you think are just out of your reach and everyday you do something, no matter how big or small, to get closer to realising that goal. Because you know what, you might just actually achieve it! Crazy, I know!

I have my own career goal in mind. Something I want to achieve in the next ten years. I am not going to share it here right now but maybe in the future I will gain the courage and confidence to tell the world what I want. I am still working on life goals. Life goals are something that I find much harder to list than career goals. I guess because you actually have to stop and listen to your thoughts. There is one life goal that I have in mind right now and will probably have for years to come and that is balance. Finding balance in life is something that I am sure all of us wish to acquire.

It is important to have something to aspire to in life because otherwise what is the point.

If your goal is to be the next Prime Minister or an awesome hairdresser you should make sure that you do something everyday that gets you closer to your goal. Ambition, confidence and drive – three ingredients you need to succeed.

I’ve set my goals. Have you?





No comments:

Post a Comment