Pages

10/09/2015

AC/DC - WEMBLEY STADIUM - 4/7/2015

8:59am, my curser is hovering over the refresh button on the Ticketmaster website. Bang. 9am – refresh. Nooooo, I’m in a queue with the never ending circle of death going round and round and round. Finally – 9:04am and the tickets are bought.

We would be heading to Wembley on the 4th of July to watch Rock legends AC/DC – one of our family’s favourite bands. When I told my mam on the phone that I managed to get tickets she apparently almost cried. A bit extreme, but we do love some Rock or Bust.

After some margaritas in Covent Garden and a belly full of Chinese food in Chinatown we jumped on the tube and made our way over to the stadium. We caught the last few songs from Los Angeles blues band Vintage Trouble, a band that I’ve loved for a few years, before taking our place in the middle of the floor ready to hear some guitar solos from the uniform-wearing Angus Young.

As people returned from the bar with trays of booze, Brian Johnson’s unmistakable voice could be heard echoing across Northwest London.  The band transitioned from Rock or Bust into Shoot to Thrill and classics rock anthem, Back to Black, and the crowd were bouncing – both young and old – and that’s how they remained for the next two hours.

Middle aged men were dancing as if they were 21 again with their now non-existent hair swishing around as they head banged to classics such as Whole Lotta Rosie and T.N.T. I think that’s one of the reasons I love going to gigs – people forget about their day-to-day struggles, let loose and enjoy.

As You Shook Me All Night Long and Hells Bells were played I experienced a moment of genuine joy that I hadn’t felt in a long while. My brother, his friend and I were jumping up and down to the beat as if our lives depended on it, singing ‘till our lungs felt on fire. Amazing.

After Young finished his mammoth guitar solo during Let There Be Rock, the band finished the evening with the cannon’s of For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) sounding around the stadium.

Magical.

Witnessing what could possible be AC/DC’s last concert on British soil was pretty cool (understatement) and watching the tens of thousands of fans walking towards Wembley Park tube-station, red horns flashing and voices still belting, was an experience I will never forget.

Sprinting through Waterloo station to catch the last train however, is an experience I would really like to forget.





No comments:

Post a Comment