Pages

20/12/2013

ALTERNATIVE CHRISTMAS PLAYLIST //

It's that time of year again when Slade, Wizzard, Mariah and Bublé are all thrust back on to radio playlists and I for one love it but I though I might provide you with a list of songs that are not played regularly throughout the month of December in the majority of people's houses throughout the country but they are songs that I love. So, without further ado, here we go . . .

Otis Redding - White Christmas



I discovered this version of White Christmas while roaming through Spotify a few christmases ago but I'm sure a lot of you will remember this song from the classic Richard Curtis film Love Actually. I love the blues and soul music so this version is right up my street and is possibly, controversially, my favourite version of this song ever. I could listen to it all day, everyday up to and even after the twenty-fifth of December. 

B.B King - Merry Christmas Baby



This version of Merry Christmas Baby by the king of the blues, Mr. B.B. King, is mighty fine. I toyed with the idea of including the king of rock 'n' roll, Elvis Presley's version and The Boss, Bruce Springsteen's version, but King jut pipped it. I can't pin point why I like this song so much but I love it. It doesn't sound like any other christmas song I've ever heard, there isn't a school choir singing in the back and there are no cheesy sleigh bells heard in the back. Perfecto, 

Biffy Clyro - Merry Christmas Everyone 


We're all used to Slade's version of this song and I'm sure I am not alone when I say that we have all shouted "IT'S CHRISTMAAAAAAAAS" in unison with Noddy Holder whenever and wherever this song is played. But, Biffy's version is a nice change from the original version that we've heard a gazillion times since our first christmas (it's still awesome though). Despite this being one of the first times the band had ever played this live and I don't think that they had even played it in the rehearsal room, it still sounds quite awesome and I loves Biffy Clyro whatever they sing. 'Mon the Biff. 

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town



If you're a frequent visitor to this blog you'll know that I love Bruce Springsteen and everything that he does (I mean, have you heard his new single High Hopes?). This version of Santa Claus Is Coming to Town is the version that is played in our house more than any other. With Clarence's deep voice and ridiculously great saxophone playing along with Bruce's raspy vocals. Nothing says christmas quite like it! 

AC/DC - Mistress For Christmas



I understand that this song might not be everyone's taste but it's a bit of fun. I love AC/DC and when I discovered this song I just laughed - of course the band would have written a song called Mistress for Christmas! It's certainly a million miles away from Cliff Richard's Mistletoe and Wine! Have a listen, you never know you might discover a new Christmas favourite. 

Merry Christmas
Nadolig Llawen 

No comments:

Post a Comment