Pages

15/03/2014

LONDON ALL GIRLS SKATE SESH //

Wow, the last week and a half has been sooooo busy its ridiculous - but a good ridiculous. It all started last Friday when I headed in to London for an all girls skateboarding session in BaySixty6, which is in the Notting Hill are of London. I got by first cruiser board for christmas around two years ago and instantly fell in love with the whole skate scene, attitude and also just the sport in general. I spent my downtime youtubing different skate edits and I especially loved the surfer vibe of Penny videos and other cruiser companies. Last christmas however I bought a traditional skateboard with the hope of becoming the next Penny Oki, or female Tony Hawk (one can dream).

Being in university kind of limits the time that I have to skate and especially as a beginner I didn't really want to embarrass myself in front of the tens of houses filled with families and students that surround the area where I practice. As a result, one evening a few weeks ago I e-mailed different skate companies and sites asking for information on female skate sessions and one women replied informing me of a London girls skate group that were organising an event in West London for skaters of all abilities. So with great fear I hopped on the tube with my board (which was a great conversation started btw) and arrived to find around 30 girls ready to skate - which was awesome although terrifying. One very kind woman helped me a lot and I learned to skate both up and down ramps and even attempted a few drop-ins which I think is pretty good for someone who has only properly skated a handful of times (excluding cruising). The session was for two and a half hours but I left a bit early in order to get back in time for my mam to arrive to spend the weekend with me.

They tell you to do one thing a day that scares you and I definitely did something that terrified me last friday but I am soooo glad that I did it. So even if your scared of doing something, like I was, pluck up the courage and do it anyway because you'll regret it if you don't.








No comments:

Post a Comment