Pages

17/03/2014

SUNNY WEEKEND WITH MAMA H

Mama H came to big bad Surrey a week or so ago to spend the weekend with her favourite child (me, obvs). The main reason for her visit was that Wales were playing England in Twickenham on Sunday in the Six Nations so we were heading to the London Welsh club in Richmond to watch the game on big screens with a load of other rugby supporters, including the comedian Rhod Gilbert. However, before that we headed to Notting Hill Gate / Portobello market for some brunch to start the day off right. I've only been to Portobello Market once before and I did not remember it begin soooo busy - it might have had something to do with the weather but man oh, man it was unbelievably chock-a-block with people which did not make for pleasant or easy browsing. So for this reason, we headed to have Brunch asap and then after a quick browse we jumped on the tube to Soho via White City where we saw the old BBC television centre. I did have a look around to see if I could spot Huw Edwards roaming the streets but no luck.


I much preferred Soho to the hustle and bustling Portobello market. Here we went in to a few record shops where I finally got my hands on the Skaters new album which I blogged about here and Lorde's Pure Heroin which I have been playing on repeat on Spotify. I also saw other albums that I really wanted but I had to control myself by reminding myself that I am a student living in the second most expensive place in the UK - not. fun. I also bought a new summer dress from a swedish brand which I can't remember the name of - a shop which I first went in to in Stockholm on our school trip to Sweden, ahhhh, memories. Having walked close to 8 miles we were ready for a sit down and a drink before food. We went to a pub/restaurant just off Soho and had a glass of prosecco and wine. China town was where we decided to have dinner and we ate at a nice but rather strange restaurant where you had to knock on the door to be let in - strange. When we got out of there a queue had formed outside with people who were waiting to be seated, so I guess I made the right decision by picking that place to eat. Even after eating quite a big meal we still wanted something sweet for when we arrived home and there was this cool little Chinese desert shop opposite where we ate dinner which was convenient and yummy :)




Sunday we made the short journey to a very sunny Richmond where we ate some brunch and made our way to London Welsh (via Twickenham stadium . . . don't ask). We watched some of the second half of the London Welsh game before grabbing a drink and sitting in the sunshine waiting for the international to begin. Wales thoroughly deserved to lose that day so no complaints from me, although it always hard losing to England whoever you are. But it's all ok though because Ireland won the championship and I am very happy for O'Driscoll - #thanksBrian.

Having never been to Richmond before but having passed it numerous times on the way in to Waterloo, myself and Mama H went for a little wonder down to the riverside after the game where we watched the sun set and the world go by while drinking our coffee and fighting away the birds. After a homemade salmon and salsa dinner and a few episodes of Blackadder and TwentyTwelve later it was time for bed and time to rest before the working week began once more. It's always harder to face going back in to the Library on a monday after a great weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment