Pages

25/04/2014

LISI LOO READS // Tina Fey & Mindy Kaling


Last year it was the hilarious Miranda autobiography, this year it was the incredibly intelligently funny, Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without me - I am talking about a book that got me hooked on reading once more. I love to read but while at uni I read all day everyday so when I get back to the house for the evening I just get into bed and sign in to Netflix to watch The Office (U.S) and Parks and Recreation. However, since being home for easter, after finishing revising for the day I sit on my bed and read page upon page until I turn around to see the clock has passed 10pm.

I loved The Mindy Project from the first episode and when I found out that Kaling was also a writer on the US Office (which I absolutely love) it sealed it for me - My Mindy Kaling obsession began. I think, the thing I like most about both Kaling and Fey is that they are incredibly intelligent women who are undeniably funny. That is something that, sadly, many people today still don't seem to believe add up. Kaling's stories about friendship, university and most interestingly, life after university, gives you some hope that you will eventually find your way.

I downloaded Tina Fey's Bossypants audiobook back in October of last year but only listened to a few chapters. I don't know about you but I am not too sure about audiobooks - I feel like I'm cheating a little bit. I prefer to read the book and feel like I've accomplished something. Selfish? Probably. Fey, like Kaling, writes about her hilarious upbringing on the East Coast of America and working her way up, via a stint in a Chicago YMCA, to become one of the most loved comedic actors and writers in the US today. From writing and performing on Saturday Night Live to creating the internationally known 30 Rock, Fey has become an American national treasure.

Not too many people inspire me, and I think that's how it should be. If everyone inspired you then who knows what you'd end up like - either totally amazing or immensely confused. My money's on the latter. Although, Kaling and Fey have made it on to my list. I know that's all I've been discussing lately but during this occasionally monotonous time of revision (I state occasionally because sometimes I find it quite interesting) I need something to keep me motivated, something to aim for. Reading both these books have reminded me that in order to get to where you want to be in life you need to work incredibly hard but you can have a laugh along the way.

Get Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment