Pages

18/04/2014

MOVIE NIGHT // The Giant Mechanical Man





The next time you have a movie night I suggest, no, I urge you to watch The Giant Mechanical Man. This film is everything. I am not going to go on about how awesome it is (and it really is awesome) because then I'll just oversell it and when you actually do get around to watching it (it's on Netflix if that makes it any easier), you will inevitably be disappointed.

I came across this film, that premiered in the Tribeca film festival a few years ago, during my relentless googling/YouTubing of Chris Messina. Messina plays Danny Castellano in the magnificently funny and intelligent The Mindy Project written by one of my favourite comedy writers ever - Mindy Kaling. Messina has been in a few Hollywood films over the years but he mostly acts in smaller Indie films such as The Giant Mechanical Man where he plays a rather lost thirtysomething man alongside The Office (U.S)'s Jenna Fisher. Both Fisher and Messina are so good in this film that I have watched it on repeat nearing on five or six times now.

Without getting too dramatic about it, I think the film appeals to me because it basically tells you to fudge what everyone else is telling you you should do or should be and just do and be what you want and that is the only thing that will make you happy. I think this is important to remember, especially in a world when there are so many pressures put on people from all different sections of society 'advising' them to change who they are or what they like. Stick to your guns and all shall be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment