Pages

18/06/2012

PEOPLE I ADMIRE #1


This weeks 'Things I'm loving right now' is more of a thing rather than things and actually it's not a thing at all but rather a person. It's Caitlin Moran. During the summer I was sitting my GCSE's I remember picking up a copy of the Times one Saturday and reading Caitlin Moran's article on Glastonbury and her column in the magazine. I think that nearly every Saturday during the summer I bought the newspaper just to read her column. However as A-level work started to build my social life vanished and there was no time to read anything other than my constant English, History or Geography essays. Then, however,  popped up 'How to be a Woman' by Moran and once more I was hooked. Yesterday I watched Moran at the Hay festival on sky arts and . . . well . . . what can I say other than she is just so cool! She rocked up in a leather jacket and some DMs and talked about how it's possible not to parade around in bodycon dresses and still be able to live and thrive in society! It's Moran along with Rory Gilmore (fictional character from the amazing Gilmore Girls) and Christiane Amanpour that actually made me want to become some sort of a writer be it a journalist or screenwriter in the future.

 I suppose Caitlin Moran is right, all women are feminists even if we acknowledge it or not. If we as women expect to be treated equally to men, if we expect to have the same laws and regulations as our fellow citizens, then we are, whether we like it or not, feminists. I didn't think of myself as a feminist before at all. Feminism to me was unwashed, unhygienic, men hating lesbians. Now I see that isn't all true! Whenever you read any of Moran's writing you're guaranteed a laugh and in times of constant exams and other worries this is always a good thing!

So, Thank you Caitlin Moran.

Www yeah, I also discovered that Moran's husband, Peter Paphides, went to Lampeter Uni. Big up Lampeter massive!

No comments:

Post a Comment