Pages

15/08/2013

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO // #2 Playlist

Nothing will ever be as good as Springsteen's original version of The Ghost of Tom Joad but this version by Mumford & Sons and Elvis Costello is pretty cool. Marcus Mumford's voice is perfectly suited to this folky Springsteen song and the harmonies with Costello are c'est magnifique! Also the incorporation of Do-Rei-Mi is a great addition to the cover as it makes it different to the original rather than attempting to copy The Boss' masterpiece. I could listen to it again and again.



I guess I've been liking more folky music over the last few days because my next favourite tune is The One That Got Away by The Civil Wars. Waw - what a band. Superb. With Joy Williams' silky smooth lead vocals it is no surprise that The Civil Wars new self titled album has gone straight in to number one in the US' Billboard 200 album chart. If you haven't checked this duo out before then where have you been! Please youtube them because they are really fab. Despite splitting after their 2011 debut album Barton Hollow they are back to their best once more and their best is pretty good and even Grammy winning good.



This next one is a bit of a blast from the past. Cherry Ghost are a band that I first heard of when I saw them live when they were supporting the Manic Street Preachers a few years ago (although they could have been supporting someone else I can't actually remember but I'm pretty sure it was the Manics). After the show I went straight out and bought their album Thirst For Romance that graced our musical shelves back in 2007. One song stood out more than the others and I have no idea why but it was the song - Roses. I liked it so much that I remember in English probably in year 9 or 10 we had to bring in the lyrics to our favourite song to analyse and search for metaphors etc and this is the song that I brought in. Quite rocky but chilled at the same time.



There is something a bit retro about the sound of The White Lies'There goes our love - a bit 80's maybe. Now, I'm no lover of 80's music - the shoulder pads, mahoosive hair and even bigger cheesy beats didn't really do anything for me but to my pleasant suprise I'm really loving this band. I've only listened to a bit of their stuff but so far so good!




This Californian alt-rock group just produce great song after great song. Having heard various bloggers rave about this relatively new band (they released their first album I Love You,. back in April of this year) I went straight to Youtube and searched for The Neighbourhood. The five piece band stay true to their Californian roots by producing surf-chilled, sun-kissed beats that just makes your day better. The song that I've chosen is one of their biggest hits so far and that is Sweater Weather which also bares the Californian rocker sound. A really cool skater-boy band that I'm certain will power on to bigger and
better success in years or actually even months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment