Pages

17/06/2013

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN // WEMBLEY STADIUM

Let it be noted in history that the 15th of June 2013 was one of the best nights of my life. It was the night I saw Bruce Springsteen for the second time in my life (mam's 7th time) and the night that he sang an acoustic version of Thunder Road and the whole of the Darkness on the Edge of Town album.

We left for Wembley Stadium early afternoon and with a bit of running, we managed to get an earlier a train that allowed us to arrive there an hour or so before we were due to. When walking down the queue in order to join the back of it we thought that it was already pretty long at 3pm however at about 5pm we looked behind us and the line seemed to be going on for miles! About half an hour in to our queueing the heavens opened and oh my word, we got soaked. My jeans were dripping and my converse felt that they had become temporary ponds for the evening as every time I moved I could hear the squelching of buckets of rain move with me. At one point I took my cons off and managed to ring water out of my socks. The thing is, nobody cared because we were going to see the Boss perform in Wembley for the first time in 25 years!

We were actually much  closer to Bruce than what we thought because by the time we were in the stadium we were by the barrier of the main crowd (not the golden circle) and mam said that's the closest she's ever been to the main man. He came on just after seven and the rest spoke for itself. Within the three hour set Springsteen performed without stopping. He performed hits such as Born to Run, Shackle and Drawn, Waitin on a Sunny Day and Dancing in the Dark. my second favourite performance of the evening was of Adam Raised a Caine which included an awesome guitar solo by the Boss. My favourite and one performance that I will never forget was the last song of the mammoth set - Thunder Road which was performed acoustically. It was just amazing, I know I've said it a million times but I just can not tell you how awesome it was. Thunder Road is my all time favourite song and when Springsteen was singing it (I know this sounds a bit weird) but I had to close my eyes on occasions just to take it all in! Wow.

After the performance we went and bought a hell of a lot of Springsteen merchandise - three t-shirts, a bandanna and another poster to add to the ever increasing band posters that live upstairs.

What an awesome night. Next month we'll be queueing outside the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to see the Boss again. My mum, brother and I are planning to get there really early to be one of the first in the queue so we can be right in the front of the golden circle. I am already super looking forward to it!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment